Ginger N Rye (More Than Ready – La Milanesa) won the Smart N Fancy Stakes by 1 3/4 lengths in an outstanding victory at Saratoga. Watch the thrilling replay here.
Under Ricardo Santana, Jr., Ginger N Rye got her first stakes win, and our entire team couldn’t be more proud of her determination and trainer Horacio DePaz!
“We were bringing her back to go 5½ furlongs and then stretch her out to a mile, but she ran so well we decided to keep her at 5½,” said Hunter Rankin, president of Sagamore Farm. “She ran great. It’s such a special place to win a stakes race. She trains [at Sagamore] and loves it there,” Rankin continued. “It’s really cool to have a place like Sagamore where Mr. Vanderbilt used to train so many horses, and we’re trying to bring that back.” (Read more via Saratogian Sports)
“That was the trip I wanted with her,” said Santana. “She was doing fine the whole way and came back great. I knew [the pace] was going to be fast today, so I tried to sit with her and make a good trip when we turned for home. She just took off. I am really blessed to be able to ride this filly.” (Read more via Saratogian Sports)
Ginger N Rye in the News
- Daily Racing Form: Ginger N Rye notches first stakes win in Smart N Fancy
- The Racing Biz: Maryland-bred Ginger N Rye takes Saratoga’s Smart N Fancy
- Saratogian Sports: Smart N Fancy Stakes: It’s Ginger N Rye in the Smart N Fancy
- The Saratoga Special: Familiar story in Smart N Fancy
- The NYRA: Ginger N Rye capitalizes on her stakes return to win Smart N Fancy
- The Record: Smart N Fancy Stakes: Ginger N Rye looking to continue strong Saratoga showing